Let's Go Grocery Shopping
Objective: To do comparison shopping on line and in a local grocery store. Student will also total purchases, and subtract from shopping budget.
Materials: Internet access, Claris Works or similar program with a spread sheet, notebook and pencil.
First open Claris Works to a new spread sheet page.
Make the following heading for your columns: Items, NetGrocer, LocalGrocer.
- Open Internet and go to www.netgrocer.com
- Find prices for the following items: 1 Kellogg Smart Start Cereal; 1 gal. 2% milk; 1 pkg. Oreo cookies,
1 pkg. of 16 spaghetti, 1 jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce
- List the items in the item column of your spread sheet and then list the prices under NetGrocer.
- Total list and save your work. Also print one copy to take with you to the local grocery store.
- With your family, go to the local grocery store and write down prices for each of the items on your
- Enter the prices on your spread sheet and total the local grocery store prices.
- Which store is a better (cheaper) place to shop?
- If you bought the same items for four weeks, what would be your total savings?
1. In Claris works or spread sheet program of your choice, make a bar graph comparing the prices. Print your graph.
1. In Claris works, create a new column with a multiplier of four for original NetGrocer prices. Do the same
for the local grocer prices.
Try the same idea with purchasing clothing on the internet. Enjoy your virtual shopping trip.