Spend Your Leisure Time With a Computer
Chandra R. Thomas-Jones
Charles F. Hartman Middle School (HISD)
7111 Westover, Houston, Texas 77087
SUBJECT: Computer Literacy
This lesson is designed to give students an overview of the ways that computers are involved in games, entertainment, and music.
The learner will:
- Use Internet to research information and as a source of entertainment.
- Classify video games into the following catogories: action; adventure; simulation; and strategy.
- Describe and define computer animation.
- Describe the process of digitize audio sound.
A computer with an Internet connection, and World Wide Web access, and the textbook " Understanding COMPUTERS through applications".
video game, virtual reality, animation, interactive animation, interactive fiction, digital, compositioning, digitize, synthisizer, sampler, sequencer, and MIDI
ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES:
- Have students read module 3 in the the textbook: "Understanding COMPUTERS through applications"
- Review vocabulary. Teach and/or reteach students how to use navigational software, such as Netscape, to browse information on the WWW.
- Divide the class into teams and have each team use the Internet for a week to do research information about computer games, entertainment, and music.
- Assist students in clasifying video games.
ASSESSMENT: Require students to create a portfolio which illustrates their experiences using the World Wide Web.