Problems and Issues of Computer Usage in Society
Chandra R. Thomas-Jones
Charles F. Hartman Middle School (HISD)
7111 Westover, Houston, Texas 77087
SUBJECT: Computer Literacy
This lesson is designed so that students will discover that computers play an intergral part in individuals' lives, the community, and the global society.
The learner will:
- Use Internet to research information..
- List and compare the five kinds of computers
- Identify computer related careers.
- Describe the impact of technology on the job market.
- Identify the importance of ethics in accessing and manipulating data and technology.
A computer with an Internet connection, and World Wide Web access, textbook " Understanding COMPUTERS through applications", word processing software, and a printer
Global village, computer, interactive, mainframe, supercomputer, minicomputer, microcomputer, portable computer
ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES:
- Have students read module in the the textbook: "Understanding COMPUTERS through applications"
- Review vocabulary. Teach and/or reteach students how to use navigational software, such as Netscape, to browse information on the WWW.
- Divide the class into teams and have each team use the Internet for a week to do research information about computers in sociery.
- Lead a discussion on the effects of rapid worldwide communications and the concept of global village.
- Assist students in comparing the kinds of computers used in society.
- Require students to create a portfolio which illustrates their experiences using the World Wide Web.
- Require students to word process their research paper on one of the following topics:
- Compare and contrast the five kinds of computers
- Describe a global village
- State the role of computers in the community
Have students submit the research papers at the end of the project for possible redistribution to the class or online via the World Wide Web.