Let's Take A Trip
Grade Level: 4-5
- Students will use the Internet to find the distance from their home city to another city.
- Students will decide how many miles they could travel in one day.
- Students will find places of interest to visit along the way to their final destination.
- Students will describe in a daily journal the places they might visit.
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Modem with minimal 14400 Baud Rate
- Internet Access
- Word processing program
- Decide on a major city in the contiguous United States that you would like to visit.
- Using MAPQUEST, you will:
- Click on TRIPQUEST
- Type in the name of your home city.
- Type in your final destination city.
- Find out the number of miles you would have to travel to get there.
- If you drive for approximately 8 hours per day, figure out a good destination for the first day.
- Click on the NET SEARCH button on the above bar and enter the name of the city you would be visiting that day. Scroll until you find a site that mentions interesting places or highlights in the city.
- Continue with this procedure until you reach your final destination.
- Using the word processing program of your choice, take notes in a daily journal about the interesting sites you visited.
- Click on one of the cars to begin your trip.
- Using your daily journal entries as reference, write a report about your trip.