The Big6 Skills
Grade Level: 7th,
The Big6 Skills is a six-step thought process to help
students seek or apply information in order to solve a problem or make
a decision. It was developed by Mike Eisenberg and Bob
The Big6 Skills is the most widely-known and widely-used
approach to teaching information and technology skills in the world. The Big6
Skills information problem-solving model is applicable whenever
people need to use information.
- The student will conduct research on a particular biome using The Big6 Skills.
- The student will locate information from a variety of media including print resources, district online databases, and the Internet.
- The student will demonstrate the use of the
OPAC (Online Public Assess Catalog) and the table of contents and
indexes of print resources.
- The student will prepare notes using a worksheet.
- The student will cite their sources using MLA.
- The student will operate a scanner.
- The student will produce a 10-slide PowerPoint presentation.
- Access to print resources (reference and nonfiction) in the
library media center.
- Access to OPAC, district online databases, and the Internet in the
library media center.
- Access to PowerPoint.
- Access to a scanner.
- Previously set bookmarks on the Internet at the following URL's:
Aldine ISD - District Subscriptions to Internet Resources
Bibliography Style Handbook - (MLA Format with examples)
The assignment begins with a discussion of a biome. A biome
is a complex community of plants and animals in a particular climatic
region. Each student in the class is assigned a specific biome.
The following list of biomes can be used for this assignment: Artic,
Antarctic, Desert, Chaparral, Freshwater Marsh, Grassland, Land Caves,
Marine (ocean or sea), Prairie, Savanna, Swamp, Taiga, Temperate Deciduous
Forest, Temperate Ponds, Temperate Rain Forest, Tropical Rain Forest,
Tundra, and Wetlands.
take notes using a worksheet. A 10-slide PowerPoint presentation will
be created from the worksheet. To keep students from plagiarizing, students
can only use their worksheet with phases not complete sentences to create
their PowerPoint presentations.
The assignment continues with a discussion of The Big6 Skills.
An outline of The Big6 Skills can be
found on the Outline
Page. An example of The Big6 Skills that applies
to this biome lesson can be found on the Process
Page. Also, students need a review on MLA for citing sources in
Independent School District
Aldine ISD - District Subscriptions to Internal Resources
Library - K-12 Education Directory
Style Handbook - (MLA Format with examples)
Big6: An Information
World: Lesson Plans: Lessons from the
Educator's Reference Desk: Lesson Plans
Lesson Plans and Teaching Activities for School Librarians
Kathy Schrock's Home Page
TeacherTECH is the teacher professional
development component of the GirlTECH program.
This page was developed through GirlTECH at Rice
University . GirlTECH is sponsored by the Center
for Excellence and Equity in Education (CEEE) with support from
the National Science Foundation through EOT-PACI .
Copyright © 1995 - 2004 by TeacherTECH
Friday, July 30, 2004 11:34 AM
URL = http://teachertech.rice.edu/Materials/TeacherTECH/