by Donald Crews. Greenwillow, 1991.
* After reading this book, answer the following questions in complete sentences and reflective thoughts before going on with your invitation.
1. Can you think of any advantages of growing up in a small town, like Cottondale, as opposed to a large city like Houston. Debate the pros and cons.
2. Compare how you spend your summer vacations with how Donald Crews spent his. Do you think you will have happy memories?
3. What can you see in the sky at night? Is it the same as what is seen in Cottondale?
* Create a board game based on activities at Bigmama's. Make sure your directions are neatly written, clear, easy to follow, and use correct grammar and spelling. Your game board should be on a sturdy surface, colorful, neat, and eas yto read. The packaging should hold all pieces. Give your game a creative title.
** Research Cottondale, Florida. Develop a travel brochure for the town. You can use the Internet to locate Cottondale, and draw out a map of the town.
*** You have recently been elected Mayor of Cottondale. Develop a list
of reasons why people would want to live in your town. Present this list
in the form of a newspaper editorial.
This page was developed through GirlTECH '97, a teacher training and student technology council program sponsored by the Center for Research on Parallel Computation (CRPC), a National Science Foundation-funded Science and Technology Center. © July 1998 Judith Peckham http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/jpeckham/