In My Family/En Mi Familia
by Carmen Lomas Garza. Children's Book Press, 1996.
* After reading this book, answer the following questions in complete sentences and reflective thoughts before going on with your invitation.
1. Talk about some family gatherings you have been to. Are they similar to those in the book? Different?
2. What do you think are the advantages or disadvantages of being part of a large family?
3. How do you think family get-togethers differ in different parts of the country?
4. Discuss the preparations involved in planning a family reunion.
* Write a childhood "memoir" that you have and illustrate it. Pattern this after Garza's.
** You are in charge of a family reunion. Create an invitation. Remember to include who, what, when, where, why.
*** You are in charge of the lunch menu for your family reunion. Create a menu, keeping in mind how many people you want to invite. Then, figure what is the cost per person. (You will need to find out costs for all food items.)
This page was developed through GirlTECH '97, a teacher training and student technology council program sponsored by the Center for Research on Parallel Computation (CRPC), a National Science Foundation-funded Science and Technology Center. © July 1998 Judith Peckham http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/jpeckham/