Papa Lucky's Shadow
by Niki Daly. Margaret McElderry, 1992.
* After reading this book, answer the following questions in complete sentences and reflective thoughts before going on with your invitation.
1. Is it OK to go against a parent's wishes if a grandparent says it's OK? How would you punish Sugar?
2. How would you feel about having your grandparent come to live with you? Or, if you already live with a grandparent, what are the benefits? Can you think of any advantages or disadvantages of having a grandparent live with you? Discuss them.
3. What do you think the title of this story infers?
4. What is Sugar's relationship with her grandfather? (Not grandfather/granddaughter.)
* Develop a "biography" for Papa Lucky and write a newspaper article about him. You will also need to do some research of the time period he lived and perhaps add some of these events into the story.
** Design and create your own "tap" shoes. Include an advertising brochure to sell them, and present this to your class.
*** You are a TV reporter who has watched Papa Lucky and Sugar dance. Create an interview with Papa Lucky to videotape.
**** Recreate this story as a shadow puppet show.
***** Investigate puppetry. Create a Papa Lucky puppet or marionette.
This page was developed through GirlTECH '97, a teacher training and student technology council program sponsored by the Center for Research on Parallel Computation (CRPC), a National Science Foundation-funded Science and Technology Center. © July 1998 Judith Peckham http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/jpeckham/