STEPS TO SOLVING SYSTEMS BY SUBSTITUTION
- Solving Systems by Substitution
- Choose one of the equations. ** (look for coefficients of 1 or -1)**
- Solve for one of the variables ** (the variable that has 1 or -1 as a coefficient) ** This will create an expression: examples: x=2y = 5
- Use the expression you solved for in #2 in the other equation. This creates an equation that has only one variable!
- Use the solution from step #4 in the first equation. Solve.
- You must check the solutions by plugging them back into both of the original equations.
- Write the solution as an ordered pair. (Alphabetical Order)