- Define technology
- Tell the difference between science and technology
- Describe technology as an evolving, dynamic area of knowledge
- Describe technology in the industrial and the information age
is defined as humans using objects to change the natural and human-made
- human knowledge
- uses tools, materials, systems
- application results in artifacts or other outputs
- developed by people to modify or contro the environment
- Discuss technology as a response to human needs
- Describe technology as a human-made system
- Discuss the parts of technological systems
- Describe teh two major types of processes used by technology
- Discuss the outputs of technology.
- Describe feedback as it is used in technological systems
| All technological
- arise out of human need
- are designed and developed by people
- integrate resources to produce outputs
- have consequences for people, society, and the environment
- evaluated by people
- are modified or abandoned in time
Technology Systems include:
- Inputs are the elements that flow into the system
and are consumed or processed by the system.
- Materials are all natural matter that is directly or indirectly
used by the system.
- Tools are the technological means that must be present before
we have technology
- Energy is the ability to do work
- Information is organized data
- Finances are the money and c#FF9900it necessary for an economic system
- Time: all jobs or activities take time.
- Describe technology in terms of level of developement, economic structure,
number of people involved, and type of product or service produced
- Discuss high technology and the developement of society
- Describe the three stages of developing and operating technology by
a private enterprise
| Technology can
be grouped in 4 ways:
Level of Developement:
- Level of developement
- Economic structure
- Number of people involved
- Type of technology developed and used
- obsolete technology- those technologies that can no longer
efficiently meet human needs for products and services
- current technology- the range of technogies used to produce
most of the products and services today.
- emerging technology- the new technologies that are not widely
- Research and Developement: Designing, developing, and specifying
the characteristics of the product, structure, or service.
- Production: Developing and operating systems for producing
the product, structure, or service
- Marketing: Promoting, selling, and delivering the product,
structure, or service
- Describe the seven inputs to technological systems.
- Describe the role and types of energy as inputs to technological systems
- Describe data, information, and knowledge as inputs to technological
- List and describe the types of machines
- Explain how time is an input to technological systems
- Describe all inputs.
| Inputs to Technological
- Machines and tools
Tool + Mechanism = Machine
People are grouped into 6 categories:
The six basic mechanisms are:
- Wheel and Axle
- Inclined Plane
All technological systems involve inputs which are processed into outputs.
and describe the major types of technological processes
- List and describe the steps in the problem solving/design process.
- Explain the major production steps used in the communication, construction,
manufacturing, and transportation processes.
- Describe management as a technological process
- Diagram the relationship between problem solving, production, and management
- Apply technological processes to everyday activities.
| The three technological
- Design/Problem Solving- Steps include:
- Identifying/Understanding the problem
- Developing multiple solutions
- Isolating and detailing the best solution
- Modeling and evaluating the selected solution
- Communicating the final solution
- Transformation- Different processes can be used, is also called
- Management- Steps:
The types of Transformation processes include:
- Communication Processes- exchanging information or ideas.
For telecommunications, the steps are:
- Manufacturing Processes- Subcategories
- Obtaining Resources
- Primary Processing
- Secondary Process
- Transportation Processes- Transportation modes:
- Describe the major types of outputs of technology systems.
- Differentiate between desi#FF9900 and undesi#FF9900 outpts of technological
- List the major types of control that are exercised on technology systems
- Discuss the positive and negative aspects of control on technological
- Discuss the relationships between outputs, feedback, and control.
- Explain how people and society control technology
| Types of Control
Components of Control Systems:
- Open-loop control- uses no feedback to compare the results
with the goal.
- Closed-loop control- systems using feedback.
2 Control Systems:
- Monitering Devices...include:
- Mechanical Sensors
- Thermal Sensors
- Optical Sensors
- Electrical or electronic sensors
- Magnetic sensors
- Data comparing devices
- Adjusting Devices....
- Mechanical Controllers- using cams, levers, and other types of
linkages to adjust machines or other devices.
- Electromechanical Conrollers- Using electromagnetic coils and
forces to move control linkages and operate switches to adjust machine
or other devices.
- Electrical and electronic controllers- using electrical and electronic
devices to adjust machines or other devices.
- Fluidic controllers- Using fluids, including oil (hydroaulic),
and air (pneumatic) to adjust machines or other devices.
- Manual Control Systems require humans to adjust the processes
- Automatic Control systems are used to monitor, compare, and adjust
the systems without human inference.