Materials: Internet connection, graph paper, and ruler.
Prior knowledge: Students should be able to plot points on a coordinate plane and write an equation in slope-intercept form from a linear graph.
Description: Often, actual data do not represent an actual linear function. Students will be asked to access data from the Internet and derive a linear regression from their set of data. These data will be used to answer questions on average cost per square foot, land values, and to predict the cost of various sized homes.
Time: Two class periods (one for data collection and one to determine regression)
Procedure: Students will "search" for information on housing prices on the Internet.
Suggested Houston area URLs
Include a copy of the page that includes the dimensions of the rooms
of your house. Be sure to include the URL. Show all of the
work you did to calculate the square footage. Do not use any given
saure footage since you do not know what measurements were included.
1. How much does a 5,000 sq. ft. home sell for in the location that was researched?
2. What does the slope m, of the equation represent?
3. What does the b value in the slope-intercept form of the equation represent?
4. What does the line represented on the graph indicate about the cost of housing?
5. How would this graph vary if data was collected from other parts of the country?
6. How could this graph help you decide if you wanted to purchase a house?
7. If the graphs of new home prices vs. house size from two cites are compared, the cost of lots is about the same in the two cities. How will this fact affect the two graphs?
8. If the graphs of new home prices vs. house size for two cities is compared, the construction price per square foot for building a house is about the same in the two cities. How will this fact affect the two graphs?
Gender Issues: Determine the ratio of male to female Realtors listed on the real estate locations at were used to research data. (It may not be able to determined gender of some of the Realtors). Discuss possible reasons the ratio of men/women is such that it is. Decide whether realty is a profession requiring math? If so, how much and what type? Research careers on the Internet. Site at least three URLs used and list the required education needed to get you realty license.