These are the instructions presented in the student's section:
- You will work in groups of four.
- Open an Excel spreadsheet. As you work your way through this lesson, you may change the design of the spreadsheet to suit your purpose.
- Using the URL's provided on the Resources page, locate each of the cities. Check out the cost of each amusement.
- Decide which city and amusement your group will visit.
- Using MapQuest, determine how many miles you will need to travel there and back. Assuming that your car can travel 25 miles for each gallon, determine how many gallons you will need. The cost of gas is $2.00 per gallon. How much money will you need for gas. Enter on the spreadsheet.
- Your teacher will give you a page for cost of various food items. Make certain that you eat three meals for the day and enter the amounts on the spreadsheet.
- Complete the spreadsheet, indicating the total amount per person spent and how much money is left (if any)!
There are three sections in this lesson, the map section, mathematical calculations and spreadsheet calculations. This lesson may be conducted as a whole, requiring several days to accomplish, or treated as separate sections.
The students should be able to organize into groups, with the teacher's oversight. One objective is to foster team spirit.
The students and the teacher should be knowledgable in spreadsheets operations. Colaboration with the Computer Tech would make sense at this point.
These pages were made through TeacherTECH, the teacher professional development component of GirlTECH , which is sponsored by the Center for Excellence and Equity in Education (CEEE) with support from the National Science Foundation through EPIC .