got the concept of what a function is down. Good! And we've moved up a level
and had an introduction lesson to
what a composite function is. (Isn't it exciting to realize that you are
making progress? :-) In this lesson, you'll search and check-out other lessons
posted on the web to help nail down the topic: What in the world is a Composite
Function? Let's begin!
Wait- If you feel like you need to
review what a function is, check out the function section listed in the
will demonstrate your understanding of what a composite function is by
working with your group:
1. Browse and learn from lessons posted on the web.
2. Produce a power point presentation (between 3 to 5 minutes in length)
explaining what a composite function is.
3. Your power point should include specific elements listed in process.
4. The content of the power point should be mathmatically correct.
- First you'll be assigned
to a team of 3 students. You will need
a leader, a presenter, and a recorder. LEADER - Responsible for keeping
the group on task and help make final selection of slides. PRESENTER
- The one who'll do the power point presentation. RECORDER - The one
who'll keep the record and work on the keyboard.
- Once you've picked a role
to play, research the web and locate lessons on Composite Functions.
You may use the resources posted here or
use the ones you've found.
- Select the lesson (on web
site) your group likes the best and use it as a base to produce a power
point presentation (between 3 to 5 minutes long) using your own explanation
of what a composite function is.
- The power point should include the following
- The title slide with the name and the role
of the each group member.
- Slides demonstrating the discovery of interactive
session using the composite functions java applet, resources #4
. For example, start your interactive session with f(x) = 5x and
g(x) = x+5. Then switch the function by letting f(x) = x+5 and g(x)=5x.
Notice the change. Why is an entry "undefined"? Can you
adjust any of the settings to control the "undefined"
- One of the slides should discuss the concept
of domain and range of composite functions.
- Include 3 different examples of composite
functions. Each member should provide one example each.
- The final slide should be the reference
slide citing your sources in the correct URL format. High light
the resource your group liked best.
- To understand how your work will be assessed,
click evaluation to review the rubric.
have acquired an in depth knowledge of what a composite function is and
transformed such knowledge into a power point presentation produced by
pages were developed through TeacherTECH, the teacher professional development
component of GirlTECH, which
is sponsored by the Center for Excellence and Equity in Education (CEEE)
and made possible by support from the National
Science Foundation and Rice University.
Copyright © 2006 by Yoonok Kang
Friday, July 7, 2006 9:57 PM
URL = http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/ykang/